It’s nearly Christmas and today I decided to make Lorraine Pascale‘s Caramelised Spiced Nuts from the book, ‘Home Cooking Made Easy’ When we go to Pizza Express we love the spicy nuts and thought these would be a good substitute.
300g granulated sugar (I used caster)
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika (I used smoked)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
300 ml water
2. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment
3. Put all the ingredients in a pan and stir until the sugar is dissolved
4. Bring to the boil and then simmer rapidly for 15-20 mins (I transferred the pan to the bottom oven in the Aga instead)
5. Drain the mixture through a colander over a large bowl, take care as the syrup may splutter
6. Tip the nuts from the colander onto the baking tray in a single layer and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes. (I put the blanking plate in the top oven and they were ready in about 12 minutes!)
7. Remove from oven and leave to cool before transferring into an airtight tin. Sprinkle with more if required (I didn’t!)
8. The leftover syrup can be poured over ice cream or poached pears.
Verdict: DELICIOUSLY MORE-ISH! I couldn’t wait to try them and burned my tongue on the nuts, straight from the oven! Would make a great Christmas gift in a pretty jar! Plus BETTER than those in Pizza Express! AND so easy to make!